A Brief History of Pine Rest Pet Cemetery
The exact starting date of Pine Rest and the founders name are not known. It is known that it was started prior to the year 1915 as a horse racing track that was known as the Kenilworth race track near Grandview and Lyndale Streets in Tonawanda, New York.
The race track was sold to a real estate developer to be used for building lots. The race track and practice track were turned into four streets (Grandview, Hawthorne, Lindale, and University) and homes were built on the streets.
The pet cemetery was moved to West Seneca, formerly called Gardenville, in 1919 on land owned by Benjamin Williams, where it’s remains in continuous operation today
The present owners, the Jordan family, purchased a pet cemetery in 1959 and are the fifth owners.
Pine Rest has had over 18,000 private internments all types of pets. Visitors come from all over the United States and many foreign countries.
Tours are conducted for various groups, such as scouts and senior citizens. There is a beautiful gazebo where many people have taken wedding and prom photographs.
Pine rest is noted for having many beautiful flower gardens.
Presently we are trying to plant trees that are native to this area, for leaf identification projects.
Pine Rest Pet Cemetery is a full-service cemetery and crematory with viewing rooms available for burials in cremations.
Pine Rest is one of the first pet cemetery to have been awarded approval status by the International Association of Pet Cemeteries. It has also been named pet cemetery of distinction by the New York State Association of Cemeteries.